
Salzgitter swung to H1 2026 net profit of €43M on revenue of €4.6B, kept 2026 guidance for €10B revenue and €725M-€825M EBITDA, and completed HKM acquisition.
Salzgitter returned to profitability in the first half of 2026, reporting €4.6 billion in revenue and €59 million in operating profit. Net income reached €43 million. Chief Executive Officer Gunnar Groebler said the company had moved “back in black” despite weak European steel demand and geopolitical uncertainty.
The company maintained its 2026 guidance for revenue of about €10 billion and EBITDA of €725 million to €825 million. Pretax profit is expected between €325 million and €425 million.
Chief Financial Officer Birgit Potrafki said earnings before taxes reached €258 million before valuation effects of an exchangeable bond. Including those effects, the figure was €76 million. She said the second half should continue the positive trend, though at a more moderate pace because of normal summer and year-end seasonality, maintenance downtime and roughly €20 million of nonrecurring first-half benefits.
Wider steel margins and €97 million in P28 cost savings drove the improvement. The Aurubis investment added €113 million. The company's cost of materials improved by €122 million year over year, falling to 61% of revenue from 65%, Potrafki said.
The trading division generated a positive result of nearly €40 million after restructuring in 2025. Groebler said roughly 30% of jobs in the trading operation had been cut. Potrafki said the segment benefited from inventory purchased at favorable costs and later sold into a stronger pricing environment. She warned that the second half looked more cautious because of geopolitical risks to international trade.
Groebler said European steel prices had improved since July 2025, with hot-rolled coil ex-Ruhrgebiet reaching €715 per metric ton. He pointed to the EU's Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism, which began Jan. 1, and new steel safeguard measures effective July 1 as factors reducing imports and supporting prices. The company said prices for hot-rolled coil ex-works Italy had increased by about €30. Underlying demand still needs to improve, Groebler said. Spending under German special funds for infrastructure and defense is expected to become more visible late in 2026 and particularly in 2027.
Salzgitter acquired 100% of Hüttenwerke Krupp Mannesmann, or HKM, effective July 1. The group plans to reduce HKM's steelmaking capacity from about 5 million metric tons to 2.5 million metric tons by operating one blast furnace rather than two. A blast furnace undergoing relining is expected to return to operation in the third quarter, after which HKM plans to shut the other furnace. The retained furnace will support operations through the transition period.
HKM employs about 3,000 people. Salzgitter plans to reduce that figure to roughly 1,000 by the end of 2029. Groebler said the workforce measures were negotiated with the works council and unions. He said roughly one-quarter of the restructuring cost is expected in 2026, with the larger share arising in 2029 when further facilities are shut down.
Potrafki characterized the expected second-half earnings contribution from HKM as a mid-double-digit-million-euro amount. She said it reflected a combination of underlying operating performance and accounting effects. She declined to provide an outlook for HKM's 2027 earnings.
HKM's electric-arc-furnace transformation project is budgeted at about €900 million gross. The project is expected to receive €200 million in public funding, implying roughly €700 million net investment. Management targets green-steel production at HKM from late 2029 and a 90% reduction in CO2 emissions.
Potrafki said that, after considering HKM operating cash generation, contributions from former shareholders, public funding, restructuring and investment needs, Salzgitter expects net additional cash requirements of about €100 million over the next three years. The company did not disclose the former shareholders' contributions.
Construction of the first phase of Salzgitter's SALCOS low-carbon steel program remains on schedule for commissioning in late summer 2027, Groebler said. Weather disruptions early in the year had delayed work initially. Construction caught up later. The hydrogen tower has been fully assembled and major utility and power-supply components have been installed.
Salzgitter expects total investment spending of €650 million in 2026, including €100 million at HKM. For 2027, Potrafki said net SALCOS spending could be around €500 million. Total investment spending could be above €800 million when other investments and HKM spending are included. Groebler said capital expenditures above €1 billion in 2027 would be “very surprising.”
Groebler said Salzgitter continues to target improvement in safety performance after its lost-time injury frequency rate exceeded its target in the first half, which he attributed primarily to harsh weather conditions early in the year.
Prepared with AlphaScala editorial tooling from the source reporting linked above. Indexable analysis may include a cited Alpha Score value. Publishing checks screen each story before release. Educational coverage, not personalized advice.