
A slick from the grounded Caroline Bezengi covers 390 sq km off Oman's Hallaniyat Islands reserve. No response vessel activity seen since June, SkyTruth says.
Leaking crude oil from a tanker grounded off a nature reserve in Oman has created a slick covering almost 400 square kilometers, the country's government said Monday.
The Caroline Bezengi is loaded with close to one million barrels of Russian oil bound for Asia and first reported difficulties on June 8 off Yemen. Two maritime security sources said initial assessments indicated a blast had occurred onboard. No party has taken responsibility for attacking the vessel.
Oman, in its first public disclosure on the environmental impact, said it was seeking to tackle the leak near the Hallaniyat Islands. Sultan Haitham bin Tarik issued a royal decree last year creating a nature reserve around the islands, an area home to wildlife including Arabian Sea humpback whales and Socotra cormorants.
The oil slick covers roughly 390 square kilometers, or about 150 square miles, the Environment Authority said in a statement carried by the state news agency. It added there was no concern for facilities including water desalination plants and tourist attractions in the area. The slick extends northeast of the islands and is within an estimated seven kilometers of the coast, the authority said.
Environmental group Greenpeace last week estimated the slick at roughly 600 square kilometers, citing analysis of satellite imagery.
A spill of this scale requires dispersant sprayed by aircraft and the use of booms and other equipment to collect the oil before it reaches the shore or sinks to the sea floor, said Tony Gutierrez, professor of environmental microbiology and biotechnology at Edinburgh's Heriot-Watt University. "If this oil is kept offshore, the impact will be much less than if the oil reaches shallower waters and the actual coastline," he said, citing the effect on diverse marine life such as coral, birds and fish. "You could find oil still there years later. And that's what happened with Exxon Valdez. Ten years down the line, there still were remnants of oil," he said, referring to the 1989 Alaska spill.
An analysis by Reuters of satellite imagery and shipping specialists showed the spill from the stranded 274-meter tanker was still spreading at the end of last month.
John Amos, CEO of SkyTruth, a nonprofit that uses satellite images for environmental conservation, said although the incident had been ongoing for more than two months, there had been no sign of vessel activity at the site to suggest a response to stabilize the Caroline Bezengi and remove the remaining oil cargo. "We haven't seen that on publicly available satellite imagery. We haven't seen that on satellite-collected AIS tracking data. And that's a concern," Amos said.
The Caroline Bezengi loaded at Russia's Black Sea port of Novorossiysk in April and passed through the Suez Canal at the end of May, ship-tracking data shows. Built in 2001, it is part of the so-called shadow fleet of older oil tankers used by Russia that lack Western insurance cover and sail under various flags to obscure their true ownership. It was listed on public shipping databases as flying the Cameroon flag but was among 39 vessels de-listed from Cameroon's ship registry in June.
The ship is subject to sanctions imposed by the European Union, Ukraine, the UK, Canada and Switzerland. Its registered owner is Rentoor Shipmanagement Ltd and its manager is Villar Shipmanagement Ltd, according to LSEG data. Reuters could not immediately reach those firms, which appear to be based in China.
Prepared with AlphaScala editorial tooling from the source reporting linked above. Indexable analysis may include a cited Alpha Score value. Publishing checks screen each story before release. Educational coverage, not personalized advice.