
US strikes on Iranian bridges near the Strait of Hormuz sent oil prices higher as the ceasefire collapsed and Tehran threatened wider attacks on regional infrastructure.
The United States expanded its airstrike campaign against Iran early Friday, hitting bridges near the Strait of Hormuz as part of President Donald Trump's push to pressure Tehran into reopening the waterway. Iran responded with new missile attacks against U.S.-allied nations and warned of further escalation.
The interim ceasefire agreed last month has collapsed. The region has seen days of back-and-forth attacks as both sides battle for control of the strait, through which roughly a fifth of the world's oil passes. Iranian officials said U.S. strikes have killed more than 35 people and wounded over 300, with new casualties reported in Friday's raids.
Tehran effectively closed the strait to shipping after the U.S. and Israel launched operations against Iran on Feb. 28. The move sent oil prices soaring and gave Iran major leverage in negotiations.
Col. Ebrahim Zolfaghari, a spokesperson for the Iranian military's Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters, earlier threatened that Iran could launch widespread attacks on all infrastructure in the region if the U.S. acted on Trump's warnings about hitting bridges and power plants. "Under no circumstances and in no way will we allow America, as a foreign and extraregional country, to interfere in the Strait of Hormuz," he said. "This is Iran's invincible red line."
Brent crude rose more than 3% in early trading on the escalation, with traders pricing in a prolonged disruption to tanker traffic through the strait.
Prepared with AlphaScala editorial tooling from the source reporting linked above. Indexable analysis may include a cited Alpha Score value. Publishing checks screen each story before release. Educational coverage, not personalized advice.