
Iran shifts to "fully offensive" posture, US rejects ceasefire extension, choking Hormuz tanker traffic. Brent nears $91.50, WTI above $85. Shipping data shows only five vessels transited the strait Saturday.
Oil prices rose on Tuesday after a senior Iranian official said the country would shift to a “fully offensive” military posture, and the Trump administration ruled out extending the temporary ceasefire. The statements pushed a negotiated end to the West Asia conflict further out of reach and kept the Strait of Hormuz effectively closed to tanker traffic.
Brent crude futures climbed 27 cents, or 0.3%, to $91.14 a barrel by 0003 GMT, after touching their highest since July 30 on Monday. US West Texas Intermediate crude rose 42 cents to $85.04, having gained more than 1% earlier in the session to $85.37, their highest since July 31.
“Oil has jumped to start the week as US-Iran relations look increasingly shaky,” said Tim Waterer, chief market analyst at KCM. “A deal to reopen the Strait of Hormuz still does not appear to be in sight, and shipping numbers remain at a trickle.”
Ship-tracking data from Kpler showed only five commodity vessels transited the strait on Saturday, with none registered for Sunday. That compares with 31 in the prior weekend. The waterway handles about a fifth of the world's oil supply, and its effective closure has removed roughly 1.5 million barrels a day of seaborne crude from the market since late February.
Yemen's Houthis separately attacked what they described as a Saudi military ship and four escort vessels in the Red Sea with missiles, according to the group’s military spokesperson Yahya Saree on Telegram. The strikes keep the Bab el-Mandeb strait, another critical chokepoint, under threat for commercial shipping.
“The dual chokehold on the Strait of Hormuz and the Bab el-Mandeb remains highly significant,” Waterer said. “These are not secondary concerns. They sit at the centre of the current supply-risk narrative.”
Iran has been negotiating an agreement on managing Hormuz traffic with Oman and says it is close to a deal. The White House responded to those talks with a threat to bomb the Gulf state, a longstanding US security partner. Media reports said Trump had opened back-channel discussions with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
US crude oil stockpiles were expected to have fallen last week alongside product inventories, a preliminary Reuters poll showed on Monday. A draw would add to the supply-tightening picture if confirmed by official data on Wednesday.
For broader context on how supply chokepoints feed into commodity markets, see our commodities analysis.
Prepared with AlphaScala editorial tooling from the source reporting linked above. Indexable analysis may include a cited Alpha Score value. Publishing checks screen each story before release. Educational coverage, not personalized advice.