
Houthi drone strike on Aramco's Jazan refinery follows Saudi-Turkey-Pakistan defence pact. The alliance faces its first test as Yemeni port also hit, killing seven.
Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthis attacked Saudi Aramco's Jazan refinery with a drone on Sunday, the group said, two days after the kingdom signed a defence pact with Turkey and Pakistan. The alliance, announced Friday, is intended to deter aggression against any of the three Sunni Muslim U.S. allies. It was not clear whether Pakistan or Turkey would join any Saudi response.
Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Saree posted on X that the drone struck the refinery, which processes 400,000 barrels of crude oil per day in southwestern Saudi Arabia. The Saudi energy ministry confirmed a fire broke out but was extinguished with no injuries. It did not give a cause.
In a separate statement, Saree said the Houthis carried out missile and drone strikes on the Yemeni Red Sea port city of Mocha. The port, controlled by the Aden-based government, sits close to the Bab el-Mandeb strait, a strategic chokepoint linking the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden. Three Yemeni government sources told Reuters that air defences were engaging drones launched towards the commercial quay and storage. The Yemeni military spokesperson said the attack killed seven people. The transportation ministry said it caused severe damage to the port's infrastructure.
The defence pact, signed Friday, stipulates that an armed attack against any of the three – Saudi Arabia, Turkey, or Pakistan – would be regarded as an attack on all. Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said on Friday the alliance was not directed against Iran or any other country, but served as a general pledge to support the three allies' security. He said the allies would decide through consultations what degree of support they would provide in the event of an attack.
The Houthis declared a naval blockade against Saudi Arabia in the Red Sea last month, citing what they said was a Saudi siege on them, a claim Riyadh denies. Iran and its allied Shi'ite Muslim armed groups have been firing on Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states and blockading their energy shipments since the U.S. and Israel attacked Iran on February 28. Talks have dragged on between the U.S. and Iran over a peace deal, with access to the Strait of Hormuz as a major stumbling block.
Houthi attacks in the Red Sea have aggravated disruptions to global energy supplies. The Jazan refinery is a key asset for Aramco. Should the Bab el-Mandeb strait be closed, Saudi Arabia would be deprived of an alternative to the Strait of Hormuz. The attack on Mocha port, a civilian facility, adds to the humanitarian toll.
Rashad al-Alimi, head of Yemen's Saudi-backed presidential council, briefed the U.S. Mission to Yemen Chargé d'Affaires Neil Hop on the developments on Sunday. He said the Houthis' attack puts a responsibility on the international community, foremost the U.S., to "move beyond only containing the Houthi threat to addressing its sources and instruments."
No one from the Pakistan government could immediately be contacted. The Turkish government did not respond to a request on Sunday for comment on the implications of the refinery attack.
For more on the broader context of oil supply risks, see our crude oil profile and analysis of the latest OPEC+ decision.
Prepared with AlphaScala editorial tooling from the source reporting linked above. Indexable analysis may include a cited Alpha Score value. Publishing checks screen each story before release. Educational coverage, not personalized advice.